Sunday, September 13, 2009

206 miles of endurance.











For a minute on Saturday morning I wanted to be a part. A part of all of these cyclists who put fear aside, pain on the backburner, and total logic at the bottom of their mind, and just ride. Abbie and I saw Justin my brother off at 6:30ish in the morning, he was in the CAT 1,2,3 group, which means he is fast and serious. Abbie and I followed him to Montpelier, where we both had serious nerves waiting for him to come through and grab the lunch bag Abbie had prepared for him. It was SO COOL!! He was off before we knew it, so we jumped in the car and went to the next feed stop, and then the next, and then the next. Each time I thought we would be waiting for hours for him to reach us, and each time it was so fast it was hard to imagine he was getting there on a bike. A few times we got to pass him in the car, and we would yell and cheer for him. When we finally made it to the last part of the race, we were worried Jut would beat us to the finish line, we pushed hard and passed him in the car with just a few miles to go. Mom, Dad, Abs and I ran/walked to the finish line just in time to hear "Juuuustin HUmphREYSsss everyone!!!" He was all alone in front and came in under 10 hours!! We were all so proud of him. Dad treated the whole crew to Bubba's afterward, THANKS DAD! It was an amazing day, and I have to say, I really got caught up in the excitement. All of those fit people. Riding 206 miles. With two legs, will, determination, and of course an amazing support crew.








4 comments:

Toots said...

What an incredible picture that is of Justin in B & W, Aim! I love that one. Ohhh, I wish I could have been there to support him. I am glad you were! I bet it was a rush all day long seeing him come and go on his bike. Jut is truly an athlete in every sense of the word and a pro-biker as far as I'm concerned! Looks like it was a fantastic day all the way around.
I loved the other pics too of you guys with the cyclist!

ED said...

AHH.. that is a great picture. It is a fun race/ride. It is intense trying to make all those feed zones. I am sure you all had a ton of fun!

J + A Humphreys said...

That was such a fun day. I am sooooo glad you were able to come with me all day...made it a million times more fun. And Bubba's...yum! All those shots are great. I really like the one of you and J under the LOTOJA sign. I'm mostly still hanging on to those guys saying we were cute. hahah! Thanks again for coming. It was so much fun.

Heidi said...

That's so awesome!!! Sounds like so much fun! I missed you at Peach Days though :) But that really is great you went to cheer him on!